Viewing entries for June 2003
The Phantom of the Opera
Actually I already knew about this a couple of weeks ago, but it now seems that the cat is officially out of the bag (the real question is: which cruel person put the cat in the bag in the first place and why, but I digress).
Now Opera is not a bad browser. It has some good points:
- First major browser to implement tabbed browsing.
- Very good alternate style-sheet / user style-sheet support.
- Pop-up blocking.
- Support for integrity checked (auth-int) digest authentication (I mention this since I've been playing around with HTTP Authentication quite a bit lately and not even Mozilla supports integrity checking yet, let alone IE).
- Pretty good standards support (version 7 introduced support for a lot of "missing" features).
Plus it seems that the team are quite dedicated to standards compliance.
It is not, however, without its faults:
<script>elements in XHTML (affects the blockquote cite script that I'm using).
- It can't cope with Voidwars...
...specifically, its support of the
overflow CSS property seems to be flawed and it's completely screwing up the formatting of various other elements also. I'm pretty sure these problems aren't the fault of Voidwars' code (though it is possible - I will admit it's not the best written HTML in existence), but it would be nice to see it work.
Given this, and the number of other documented bugs in Opera's standards support I reckon that Hixie working for them is a very good thing indeed. ☺
This happens every now and again...
The perils of coding while tired.
I didn't do it!
I would like to quit both Game 1 and Game 2. I simply dont have enough time to play and also maintain balance in other areas of my life. - Random Voidwars Player #1
Going to take a holiday from this game. It's been great fun, but I *really* need to get on with real-life now. Thanks for the fun! - Random Voidwars Player #2
[17:10:17] <Hixie> xiven is ruining people's lives!
[20:15:56] <draq> Xiven: voidwars is ruining my life
A Necessary Evil
Signups are now open for Voidwars Game 2 (
A Necessary Evil).
New and exciting additions to the game include:
- Wrap-around map - Send your ship off the left-hand side of the map, it reappears on the right-hand side
- Fuel - Ships now consume fuel as they move (effectively restricting their range). They can be refuelled at friendly and allied shipyards and refuelling stations.
3 Races! - There are now 3 complete races in the game (the usual
Terranplus the new
So, in conclusion, lots of new features, go sign up now. ☺